Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Perfect Day

Have you ever thought about what a perfect day would look like? I'm not speaking about a perfect day from our perspective, but a perfect day from the perspective of a son wanting to become a Man. I was thinking about what I could do with my son, Rocker this weekend through out the week. I couldn't come up with anything until I was on my way home from work. I was stressed and thought I just need to do something peaceful. My mind ran to a peaceful fishing stream where it was just the sound of water, and questions like: "How do I do this again?" So I decided I would take rocker out fly-fishing on Saturday morning.

I woke up early about 5:30 am and thought he'll never be ready to get up at this time of day. I went to get him out of bed and found to my surprise that he rocketed out of his bed in anticipation for this day to get started. He ran down stairs so fast I thought that he was going to wake up the whole house. After getting down stairs he realized that he left his clothes upstairs. Fortunately, dad was bringing them down to prevent any more rockateers from joining us this morning. He was ready in 5 minutes flat, throwing shoes on and running to the car. You'd think he had done this a million times it was so well rehearsed.

We started off that morning and it was barely daylight. He was so full of hope that he was going to catch the big one. He asked me where we were driving to. I said: "a stream." He said, "What stream?" I said the Yellow Breaches. He said: "Dad I'm glad it's you and me." I said: "Me too! I've looking forward to this all week." And that's how our morning got started. I had no idea how well it was going to turn out. Our conversation quickly turned to the location of where we would catch that big fish. I had to admit to him, I wasn't sure where on the stream I was driving too. So we prayed and I felt the Lord say turn here and here and we found ourselves on a little park off route 114, just under a train trestle near a bridge which overran the Yellow Breaches. It was a beautiful morning. Bright blue sky, the sun was just starting to come up but a chill was still in the air.

We stopped the car and I put on some waders (just in case rocker got his line caught in a bush or a tree) and my fishing vest. We proceeded to put his new fly fishing rod together that he go for his birthday. He was so excited, his eyes were a blaze with anticipation. He wanted to use his own flies which he had also got for his B-day. We were off to the creek and we waded in. It was time for the first cast. I got behind him and guided his small hands how to cast. For the first time I realized how big his hands were getting and my little boy was growing up. He just wanted to be like his daddy. After a few casts I figured it was time to let him try it. Immediately he hooked a tall tree. I waded out to the tree and said it's alright, but then the line broke and I lost the fly. I said it's OK, I'll tie on one of mine. I could see his disappointment about loosing one of his prized flies. But I could also see his relief knowing that if he lost one of daddy's that was OK! We continued fishing for about 45 minutes, but didn't catch the big one. By that time, he was getting cold and I had suggested that we could go get breakfast at McDonald's.

On our way back to the car, Rocker asked: "Do you think we could take a walk on the trails and listen to the birds?" I could tell his heart was set on it and I thought this would be a good time to talk to my little evangelist about the recent report from school that I had earlier this week at a parent teachers conference. We dumped all our gear and headed down a trail looking for animals and birds.

I told him that my heart leaped for joy when I heard his teacher say that he's been evangelizing to his whole class. I told him how much I loved him and how courageous he was. He has such boldness compared to what I had at his age. I gave him a hug which he gladly received and we walked on. He had so many questions about the world, my job, how he enjoyed spending time with me. My heart was just feeling so alive and I wondered how I could forget what this feels like in the midst of everything else in life. It was a gentle reminder for me to refocus my priorities on my boys. After a period of time we headed to McDonald's and ate breakfast and then headed home.

Later that night at Church my two sons (Rocker & Shaggy) were getting water baptized and they wanted me to baptize them. I was filled with joy at the privilege. The service started and the worship music was being sung, I entered the pool and in came Rocker. I told him the old man is going to die and the new man is going to come alive. I told him that I baptize you and the name of the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit, and then under the water he went. Shaggy followed Rocker and I said the same thing. I was so proud of them and it was a healing moment for me to. I realized at that very moment that I was getting to do something for my sons that I personally did not receive from my own father. There are only a few moments that I've truly heard the Father say: Well done good and faithful servant, but this was one of those special moments that I'll never forget. To top it off a prophet in the house came to me and told me that she saw my son's as those who would walk in the miraculous and that Signs and Wonders would follow them. How much more awesome of a day can you have than that.

As I laid them down for bed I shared this with each of them and reminded them that as of today, they would never be the same again and neither would I.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

This is just beautiful to read. Thank you for sharing your father's heart.

Trish said...

What an awesome story about your time with Rocker, and how wonderful that you were able to participate in their baptism. I really appreciate your insights.

Kelli said...

I tagged you for a meme to come up with a six word memoir.